How Can I Avoid a Plumbing Emergency?
Plumbing emergencies may seem like spontaneous events that happen without warning, but that’s not always the case.
They typically start as minor issues that grow bigger over time. As the plumbing problem balloons, it offers clues about the nature of the impending emergency.
A slow drip can become a gush of water. A sluggish drain eventually may clog and overflow. A water heater, rusting from the inside out, may spill its contents on the floor, damaging your California home and costing you money.
Thankfully, you can prevent a small plumbing problem from becoming a big issue that requires emergency repairs. All it takes is being diligent about maintenance.
Top Plumbing Services in Newport Beach, CA
Our qualified pros at Parzival Plumbing can help with plumbing maintenance, repairs, and replacement. During a plumbing walk-through in your Newport Beach home, we will inspect faucets, pipes, toilets, and water-using appliances for leaks and worn parts.
We will ensure your drains are clear, your sprinkler heads work, and your water heater operates safely and at peak efficiency.
If we discover any issues during our plumbing checkup, we will recommend solutions that best fit your unique circumstances. That may include replacing worn components, flushing out an appliance, cleaning sewer or water supply lines, or other repairs.
Signs Your Plumbing Needs Attention
Your plumbing system generally gives off clues that a component is wearing, a clog is forming, or a pipe is cracking. Here are a few signs your plumbing system in Newport Beach needs help:
- Shower, tub, and sink drains that empty slowly suggest a clog. Drains that give off sewer odors or gurgling sounds point to a blocked sewer line. Snaking or water jetting are options for cleaning water and sewer lines.
- Water at the base of your toilet indicates a leak. Look for cracks in the porcelain. A broken seal also may be the problem.
- Rim jets and a siphon hole corroded with mineral buildup may cause a weak, slow flush that does not clear the toilet bowl.
- A toilet bowl that overflows typically indicates a clog.
- Water leaking from a faucet base or spout wastes water and money. Replace worn parts to stop the leak, or consider upgrading to a new faucet.
- Popping sounds from your water heater indicate sediment buildup in the tank. Rusty water may result from tank corrosion and lead to leaks.
- Water stains on a wall or ceiling point to a leaky pipe.
- Soggy spots on your lawn can result from a cracked sewer line.
If the item that needs repair is outdated or nearing the end of its useful service life, it may make better financial sense to replace it.
Replacement gives you the opportunity to upgrade your system. You may prefer new, stylish faucets that use touchless technology, toilets that save water, or a water heater that delivers hot water on demand.
Keep Your Plumbing in Top Shape
According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), swapping out an old toilet for a WaterSense model can save 13,000 gallons of water annually in an average household. Replacing inefficient faucets and aerators with WaterSense products can save families approximately 700 gallons of water per year.
Our expert plumbers at Parzival Plumbing will guide you through the options for upgrading.
Having your plumbing system maintained professionally is only half the battle. You can help prevent an emergency by employing some plumbing TLC. Consider these tips:
- Keep grease and oils out of your drains. Refrain from flushing them down the toilet or pouring them into sinks.
- Install a hair-catching insert or cover for your shower drain to prevent clogs. Place a lint catcher over the washer discharge hose to keep particles from flowing down the drain.
- Avoid stuffing your garbage disposal with food scraps. Keep grease and shellfish shells, fibrous foods, such as celery, and hard matter, such as fruit pits, out of your disposal.
- Consider installing a water softener if your water has an overabundance of calcium and magnesium. Hard water can cause mineral buildup in pipes, interfere with water pressure, and ruin appliances.
- Insulate any pipes in unheated areas of your Newport Beach home. Be sure to cover outdoor hose bibs and faucets.
- Flush only toilet paper and human waste in your toilet.
Maintain Your Plumbing Today
Let our expert team at Parzival Plumbing keep the plumbing system in your Newport Beach, CA, home in top shape. Call us at 949-229-7550 or request service online.